"He has made us, and we are His - His people and the sheep of His pasture."

Saturday, November 20, 2010

In Leafy Arches

Recently I've been thinking a lot about nature.  Roses have almost always fascinated me with their modest mystery - their soft petals overlapping each other in a mind-boggling design that covers their innermost parts.  I think if you looked at a rose for a thousand years you would never be able to comprehend its complexity. 
  I tend to think of nature as God's thoughts, flowing out of His mind with splendor and grace.  Once I was walking between two buildings in a quiet, shady area.  When I looked up, I saw the sunlight shimmering through the leaves of an oak tree.  I wish my rhetorical skills were better so that I could describe the beauty of that sight.  "Shhhhhhhhhh..." the wind said as it embraced me and made all of the plants and trees around me dance.  I felt as if I were walking in slow motion.  I looked to my right and saw a short palm tree dancing with the others - I have never seen something look so alive, so conscious and vibrant with praise. 
  On my way home one day I saw tiny blue flowers on the side of the road that looked as if they were placed there just to declare God's glory.  The sunlight hit the leaves on the trees at a certain angle that seemed to transform them into tiny emeralds.
  No matter how hard we try, our thoughts can never compare with God's thoughts.  Thinking about our lives and the direction we're going, worrying what tomorrow will bring, lementing the past - those are all things that cloud our mind and keep us from seeing what is now.  Let us be content to observe and appreciate our current surroundings, to let God's hope fill us so that we are focused on our sole and wondrous purpose: glorifying Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment